The PTA Committee
PTA COMMITTEE WELCOMES NEW COMMITTEE CHAIR
DAVID J. FACCINI, JR. PTA, LMT
David is from the Western district and resides in Niagara Falls, NY. He has been practicing as a PTA in NYS since 1994, following his graduation from Niagara County Community College. He currently works as a pediatric PTA in the school setting.
David has practiced in most all areas of the PT profession over the past 22 years, but finds his heart and passion is with the pediatric population. He is currently working toward his Advanced Proficiency Pathway Recognition in the area of Pediatrics. David was drawn to the PTA profession following physical therapy while in high school. He has always had an inert passion to helping others ever since he was in the Boy Scouts. Aside from his PTA degree, David also hold an A.A.S. degree in massage therapy and currently runs his own massage therapy business.
email@example.com or 716.361.2711
Future of PTAs
Members of the PTA Committee feel that the following quote best expresses the value and contributions PTA’s bring to the physical therapy profession:
“When thinking on the future of PTAs, I hope that it will be more widely understood that we are skilled professionals. Too many PTs, patients and members of the public do not realize that we have extensive training and often provide many (or most) of the same interventions as Physical Therapists.” – Amaury Quiñones, PTA
Here is what the committee is currently working on following the first committee meeting held 07/27/2016:
Achieving the status of Licensed Professional for the PTA in New York State – currently, in New York State, the PTA is considered to be a licensed professional. However, if you explore the NYS Office of Professions web page under the Physical Therapist and Physical Therapist Assistant section, you will find the wording is very inconsistent between licensed and certified…..which has a BIG difference in meaning.
The committee is currently working on having the wording changed to be consistent throughout the web site, testing applications for the licensure exam as well as all literature on the NYS Office of Professions and NYS Department of Education web sites.
Ways for PTAs to get more involved with the APTA and NYPTA
Despite an increase in membership numbers, there is still a lack of PTA involvement, especially at the chapter level.
- Get Involved! Talk with fellow PTs and PTAs, get a group together and attend your district meetings.
- If you have a fellow colleague that is not yet a member, bring them to a meeting and let them see what it is all about (please make sure to check with the district president that guests are welcome).
- Check out what volunteer opportunities are available with the APTA (http://www.apta.org/VolunteerGroups/) and fill out the volunteer interest profile. Also be sure to fill out the profile on the NYPTA site as well (http://nypta.site-ym.com/Login.aspx) so that you will be in the pool for local opportunities!
- Physical Therapy Month is coming up in October, so volunteer in your community for the PT Day of Service on October 15, 2016! There are several ways to get involved; just visit the web site, http://ptdayofservice.com/, and take the pledge! Become an Ambassador for your community, spread the word and get your fellow PT’s and PTA’s involved!
- Don’t forget to join the Facebook group, PTAS of NYPTA (https://www.facebook.com/groups/PTAsofNYPTA/)! This is a closed group for discussions, questions, comments, or whatever you feel the need to get off your chest regarding the PTA profession!
We are the N.Y. PTA Committee. We are the voice of the PTA in NYS. We are here for you. Please email any of the members with questions, comments, concerns, ideas, etc. We are here to help!
PTA Caucus Liaison
PTA CAUCUs nomination form
The 2017-2019 PTA Caucus Nomination Form is now available as an Online Form.
Eligible candidates are only Physical Therapy Assistant or Life Physical Therapist Assistant members who have been APTA members for one year immediately preceding election may serve as Chapter Representative.
The completed form must be received in the Chapter Office by December 15, 2016 by 5:00 PM. There will be no exceptions to this deadline.