Southern Tier District
UPPER EXTREMITY REHABILITATION: APPLICATION OF GROSS ANATOMY TO NEURODYNAMICS AND FASCIAL TISSUE DYSFUNCTION.
JOIN SOUTHERN TIER DISTRICT ON APRIL 23RD TO EARN 7 CEHS FOR THIS FULL DAY CONTINUING EDUCATION EVENT!
Michael Costello PT, DSc, OCS, MTC
Jim Yaggie, PhD
Todd Lazenby MA, ATC
Nick Quarrier PT, DPT, OCS
Members (PT, PTA): $99.00
Student Member: $50
Non-Members: (PT, PTA): $199.00
Student Non-Member: $75
*Lunch is included in your full day registration cost
This event is held at Ithaca College Campus.
Click here to register!
The morning will consist of two one hour lectures. Participants will be divided into two groups for lectures on Upper Extremity Neurodynamics with Michael Costello, and Fascial Tissue Dysfunction by Todd Lazenby & Nick Quarrier. After the first hour the participants will switch to the other lecture topic.
There will be 3 hands-on labs for 1.5 hours each, covering the below topics:
1. Gross anatomy in the anatomy lab,
2. Upper extremity neurodynamics,
3. Fascial tissue dysfunction.
Tentative Course Schedule:
8:00 am - 8:15 am: Sign in
8:15 am - 8:30 am: Welcome/introductions
8:30 am - 9:30 am Lecture (two sections)
9:30 am - 10:30 am Lecture (groups switch to have other lecture)
10:45 am - 12:15 pm Lab
12:15 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (provided onsite)
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm Lab
2:45 pm - 4:15 pm Lab
4:15 pm - 4:30 pm Wrap up/course evaluations
Objectives [please note there are three sets of objectives for each part of the course]
Gross Anatomy Lab of the Upper Extremity presented by Jim Yaggie, PhD
1. Review the musculature and arterial supply of the upper quarter.
2. Trace the nerve paths of the upper extremity from the cervical roots to terminal branches.
3. Provide foundational review for the application of clinical concepts covered in the course
Upper Extremity Neurodynamics: Evaluation and Treatment lecture/lab by Michael Costello, PT, DSc, OCS, MTC
1. Describe a Pain Mechanisms approach to managing Upper Extremity Conditions.
2. Identify which pain mechanisms are relevant for a given case
3. Safely and effectively examine and evaluate physical impairments of neurodynamics of
the upper quarter.
4. Safely and effectively provide manual therapy and exercise interventions to address
impairments of neurodynamics.
Fascial Tissue Dysfunction: Anatomy Review + Therapeutic Interventions lecture/lab by Todd Lazenby, MA, ATC and Nicholas Quarrier, PT, DPT, OCS
1. Understand the anatomy, innervations, and role fascial tissue plays in the function of the
MSK system and proprioception
2. Understand the role and efficacy of appropriate therapeutic interventional treatments for identified fascial dysfunctions.
Questions on this event? Contact Sarah Fishel at 607-274-3716 or SouthernTierNYPTA@gmail.com
Cancellation policy: The Southern Tier District of the NYPTA reserves the right to cancel the course. In the unlikely event of a cancellation, the District will issue a full refund of the registration fee, but will not be responsible for any other charges incurred by the registrant due to the cancellation of the course. Registrants canceling outside of one week (7 calendar days) of the course may receive a refund less a $50 cancellation fee. Registrants canceling within one week (7 calendar days) of the course are not eligible to receive any refunds. Registrants who do not show up for a course will forfeit all funds.
Join the Southern Tier District for a Hockey Game on February 20th
Bring your family and join us for a hockey game on Saturday, February 20th when we will cheer on the Elmira Jackals as they take on the Adirondack Thunder! We will meet at 6:00 for food and drink at the Splitrock Brewing Company before the game at 7:05. See the flyer for more information.
Contact Morgan Finch at email@example.com or (607) 734-7825 for discounted tickets. We hope to see you there!
Southern Tier Member,
We have some exciting district activities coming this spring that we would like to share with you. Please come join us at one of these events to socialize and network, learn more about the district, and share your opinions with delegates who will represent us in Albany. If you are not able to attend please follow along on the website: http://www.nypta.org/group/ST for meeting minutes and follow us on Facebook.
Ok, here’s the fun stuff!
- Social event: Please bring your family and join us for an Elmira Jackals game on Saturday, February 20th. Discounted tickets are available for the game at 7:05. We will meet before the game at 6:00 at the Splitrock Brewing Company. See the flyer for more information. Hope to see you there!
- Delegate Assembly Meeting: The Delegate Assembly Meeting of the NYPTA will be held on Friday-Saturday April 29-30 in Albany, NY. This is the highest policy making body of the Chapter and consists of voting delegates of each district. We are looking for members (4 physical therapists and 1 physical therapy assistant) to attend as representatives of the Southern Tier District. This is a great way to become involved in the Chapter and hear about the issues that will be presented nationally at the House of Delegates in June. On Tuesday March 22nd we will hold a meeting in Elmira to discuss the current issues and inform the delegates of how the district would like to be represented. Please save the date for this important meeting. If you cannot attend and are interested in being present through phone or video conference please contact Sarah Fishel at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can do our best to arrange for these options.
- Clinical Research Symposium: We invite you to attend the last meeting of the spring at Ithaca College at the Clinical Research Symposium on May 3, 2016 at 6:00 pm. Come to hear about a diverse range of research and clinical projects based on the best current evidence.
Finally, we are working hard on a district sponsored continuing education course this spring at Ithaca College! Stay tuned for details!
The Southern Tier District Officers
Southern Tier Member,
Thank you to everyone who attended the December 1st meeting! The meeting was co-sponsored by the Ithaca College Physical Therapy Student Association and Dr. Gaffney's presentation was extremely informative. If you have ideas for future continuing education topics, or you are interested in hosting a future meeting please contact Sarah Fishel at email@example.com. We are also planning a social and networking event at an Elmira Jackals game in February or March. Stayed tuned for more information!
A few announcements from our last meeting:
- The District is planning to co-sponsor a continuing education course this spring in the anatomy lab at Ithaca College. The course will be focused on the management of upper extremity clinical problems. We are in need of a few volunteers to assist with planning the course. Individuals on the planning committee will be provided complementary registration for the course.
- Delegate Assembly of the New York State Physical Therapy Association is a great way to get involved with the district. See the website: http://www.nypta.org/?page=DA for more information. We are in need of delegates from the Southern Tier District to send to this meeting in the spring. The district will sponsor the costs. Please consider this opportunity!
Please email Sarah Fishel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being on the planning committee for the spring continuing education course, or if you are interested in Delegate Assembly this spring.
Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season ,
The Southern Tier District Committee
Southern Tier Meeting Minutes
Read the district meeting minutes.
Southern Tier Bylaws
Find the district Bylaws here.
Southern Tier District Budget Process
Read the budget process.